Randall A Sindlinger on 8 Jul 2009 12:06:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell really gets Linux - at last

On Wed, Jul 08, 2009 at 01:11:19PM -0400, bergman@merctech.com wrote:

> One implicitely pro-Linux move from Dell is that they sell selected systems
> without an OS (ie., without Windows), at a significant discount (~$200). Don't
> forget that they offer Linux (supported by Dell and/or RH) on their servers.

What gets me is they still put stuff on the harddrive, like their Dell utilities.
Who, when installing linux, doesn't just blow that away?

Instead, it makes the box a toaster.  (It boots and says there's no OS on the system;
gee, thanks)

What I want is a system to come from Dell that I can plug in power and ethernet, and
have the system turn on and skip *over* the harddrive, and follow its boot sequence.
Find the USB key I plugged it, and boot from that.  For my workplace, that means
kicking off an automated over-the-network install.  Instead, we more or less have to
plug in keyboard and video, too.

And why can't Dell tell you the MAC address of the system on their packing slip or
on Dell's "Original System Configuration" page?

Still, we've used Dells, both desktop and server, for linux for years, and rarely
run into any insurmountable problems.

-Randall