Edmond Rodriguez on 10 Jul 2009 19:36:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Dell really gets Linux - at last

But that proprietary code comes with the network card via the vendor.  Right? If you own the card, don't you have rights to the driver code, no matter how you use it?

Funny thing though.  I tried once to get driver updates to my card.  I was referred to the "vendor that sold your machine" or something like that. I forgot about that. Does make things a little more complicated.  The drivers can be a lot of work to get, especially for an older machine or a company that changes or goes out of business?

Here is a snippet of the mail:

"It is up to these manufacturers to provide product-specific drivers and software support to their end customers. Please contact the manufacturer of your wireless device for their current drivers."