Michael Bevilacqua on 19 Aug 2009 16:42:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] IRC / DNS Questions

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Brian Vagnoni <bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
Does anyone know why my IRC nickname is displayed [nickname ! ip address] rather than [nickname ! hostname] in the irc channels users list? My dns looks good from a dnsstuff.com report. Though I am having Comcast host my dns via sitecontrol(probably a mistake). Identd is running. Feel free to do nslookups if you must to help.

For example

xored!75.147.85.146

instead of

xored!v-system.net

I would prefer the host name over the ip address.

To me, this looks more like a mask than an actually rDNS lookup from the IRCd.  Or, something more. One way to test is to do a /whois on yourself to see what comes back on the IRC server in question. Another would be using /ctcp.

And yes, your rDNS looks proper.

Hope this helps.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua