Elizabeth Krumbach on 19 Aug 2009 17:34:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] IRC / DNS Questions

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Brian Vagnoni<bvagnoni@v-system.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know why my IRC nickname is displayed [nickname ! ip address] rather than [nickname ! hostname] in the irc channels users list? My dns looks good from a dnsstuff.com report. Though I am having Comcast host my dns via sitecontrol(probably a mistake). Identd is running. Feel free to do nslookups if you must to help.

The IRC server does an rdns lookup upon connect, if it doesn't resolve
fast enough it will show your IP address. This happens from time to
time.

> For example
>
> xored!75.147.85.146
>
> instead of
>
> xored!v-system.net

FWIW I think your format here confused some folks on list, the actual
format for referencing addressing in IRC is nickname!ident@hostname

--
Elizabeth Krumbach // Lyz // pleia2
http://www.princessleia.com