Art Alexion on 2 Sep 2009 18:36:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] ethics of APs

On Wednesday 02 September 2009 10:09:14 Ben Love wrote:
> But, then I heard about someone at work getting her door kicked in by
> the Feds because one of her neighbors was using her (accidently)
> unsecured wireless for not-so-legal activity (and I don't mean simply
> violating copyrights).

The urban legend usually involves pedophiles in cars using your network to
trade kiddie porn.

My question on that is whether ISPs, like Verizon, keep snapshot records of
what DHCP/PPPoE lease was held by which account on a given day months ago.
Is this something that is easily tracked down, or does the information
disappear into the ether every time you are assigned a new IP?