Michael Bevilacqua on 28 Oct 2009 09:02:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] UPS-- probably not the way it's SUPPOSED to work

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 11:53 AM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
Buoyed and encouraged by all this UPS talk, I installed the software to
monitor my trusty APC mega-ups.

The rear has an amusing jack labeled USB, which is really RJ45 (yeah, I
know).  I chose serial.  Plugged it into the pc, then into the ups, and

POOF.

The UPS shut down immediately.

APC does not use standard serial connections to communicate with their UPS firmware. If you are not using an APC supplied USB cable, this is probably why you are shutting your UPS down. Same thing happens with their serial cables.

--
Michael D. Bevilacqua
michael@bevilacqua.us