Greg Helledy on 14 Nov 2009 08:43:38 -0800

Re: [PLUG] CyberPower UPS-- "powerpanel" monitoring software segfaults

> I know nothing about that model UPS, but I'd highly recommend trying the
> Network UPS Tools (NUT) package:
>
> 	http://www.networkupstools.org/
>
> A google search for "cyberpower CP550SL nut" suggests that other people have
> successfully used that UPS with NUT.

I have installed nut, gone through the steps creating configuration
files, and gotten it working, sort of.  I used the directions here:
http://blog.shadypixel.com/monitoring-a-ups-with-nut-on-debian-or-ubuntu-linux/

I have two issues:
1.  The software doesn't seem to be loading at startup.  If I execute
the "upsdrvctl start" command, I do get:

itchy:/etc/nut# upsdrvctl start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.2.2
Network UPS Tools: 0.29 USB communication driver - core 0.33 (2.2.2)

I fired up the SysVInit tool KSysV.  Service "nut" is listed as starting
up at runlevel 5, but the following are not, nor are they listed in the
services I can choose from to add:  upsdrvctl, upsd, upsmon

2.  The gui monitoring tool, KNutClient, can't establish a connection
with the device even after I execute "upsdrvctl start".  The address I
entered is "CP550HG".

The files I think are relevant are:

# /etc/nut/ups.conf
[CP550HG]
driver = usbhid-ups
port = auto

# /etc/nut/upsd.conf
ACL all 0.0.0.0/0
ACL localhost 127.0.0.1/32
ACCEPT localhost
REJECT all

# /etc/nut/upsd.users
[local_mon]
     password = (password snipped)
     allowfrom = localhost
     upsmon master

# /etc/nut/upsmon.conf
MONITOR CP550HG@localhost 1 local_mon (password snipped) master
POWERDOWNFLAG /etc/killpower
SHUTDOWNCMD "/sbin/shutdown -h now"

This is a Debian Lenny machine with all updates applied.
Kernel is 2.6.26-2-686
KDE is 3.5.10

Any insights would be appreciated.

Greg

information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing, copying or distribution of, or reliance on this message by
unintended recipients, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the
message and deleting it from your computer.