Michael Leone on 27 Nov 2009 10:25:15 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Netbooks for High school

At the company I formerly worked at, the company owned another firm.
And our CEO was on that company's board of directors. When he had to
make a presentation there, he would make a Powerpoint presentation on
his machine. And then take it via USB drive to the other company,
where the actual presentation was done on that company's laptop,
connected to their projector.

So, in our case, the presentations were created on one system, and
executed (presented) on another.

When officers of that other company made presentations to our borad,
the same applied - they created on their systems, and presented using
ours.

On 11/27/09, Lee Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
> Mike Leone wrote:
>> Edmond Rodriguez had this to say:
>>

>>> I am almost an exclusive OpenOffice user, but if I submit something I
>>> created in OO for Word that needs to be virtually identical in every
>>>
>> way, when viewed in MS, such that the person receiving it and opening it
>> with MS gets exactly what I saw in OO,
>>

>> MS offers free viewers for Word, Excel and Powerpoint, all of which run
>> under WINE. So no need to run a trial of MS Office in read only mode.
>>
>> I tried, every year for so, for 3-4 years running, to use OO instead of
>> Word at my old firm, at least for some users. But it invariably got the
>> formatting "wrong" (i.e., different, requiring user intervention). On a
>> regular memo, that wouldn't be a problem. On a presentation to the Board
>> of Directors, not a chance. Bullet points would not be aligned,
>> paragraph indentations would not always be as expected, etc.
>>
> Maybe I have a different workflow for business presentations,  I develop the
> presentation on Linux/OO and present it from my laptop Linux/OO  so
> there are no problems.  I always distribute slides as PDF.
>> Using OO would have to be completely transparent, a non-intrusive,
>> drop-in replacement for Word. And it wasn't, not for me. (may still not
>> be, I don't know; I don't do end user support any more). It's difficult
>> to tell a VP or the CEO that the presentation they spent so much time
>> developing in OO, doesn't appear as intended, because the other BOD
>> members use Word and not OO ... Makes for a very unprofessional
>> impression, as if they hadn't proof-read it.
>>
> I would think that the VP would only switch if he had made a decision to
> convert
> the whole company.  I agree you just can't arbitrarily convert
> individual users to OO.

Sent from my mobile device

Michael J. Leone, <mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>