Walt Mankowski on 20 Dec 2009 18:59:39 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Recovering data from dead laptop hard drive

On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 01:18:46PM -0500, Gordon Dexter wrote:
> Walt Mankowski wrote:
> >On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 09:50:11PM -0500, Casey Bralla wrote:
> >>Laptop drives have 50 pins and a slightly different connector
> >>scheme.  You can buy an adapter connector for a couple of bucks
> >>to make them work.  You can't just plug them in to a normal
> >>40-pin IDE connector and let the extra pins dangle.  The larger
> >>connector also supplied power to the drive.
> >
> >Well, it's getting power from somewhere with just 44 pins, since I can
> >hear it spin up and click while the USB cable's connected, and spin
> >down when I unplug it.  That's good to know, though.  Thanks.
>
> If you're using a USB cable then in all likelihood it's the right
> kind.  Does it look something like this:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002

No, I just have a simple 2.5" drive enclosure.  It's this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817707116

That's got a 44-pin female plug on it.  There's no need for a 40-pin
plug, since it's got a USB connector that you can plug directly into
an available slot.  It doesn't need any external power either, since
it can get that via the USB cable.  It's really just a 44-pin
connector on one side, and a USB port and blinkenlight on the other.
Oh, and a flimsy aluminum case you can put around the drive.

> That kind of cable has one side for 3.5" drives and one side for
> 2.5" (laptop) drives.  I've used mine before and there are always 4
> pins on one side that it doesn't touch, but works just fine.  The
> label on my old Hitachi indicates that yes, those pins are for
> master/slave jumpering, and without a jumper it is set to master..

Thanks.  I stopped by the Apple Store today and confirmed that with
one of their "geniuses".

> Honestly if you've tried the freezer trick and that didn't work then
> I doubt anything else will, short of professional data recovery
> services.  You could try replacing the circuit board, but given the
> clicking sound the disk probably had a head crash or something like
> that; I doubt you'll ever get a bit of data off of it.  Just be glad
> you had most of it backed up, and chalk the rest up to bad luck.
> Sorry...

Yeah. :(  It sure would be nice if Linux would at least create a
device when I plug it in, though...

Walt