bergman on 23 Mar 2010 17:49:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?

In the message dated: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 20:36:35 EDT,
The pithy ruminations from Eric on
<Re: [PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?> were:
=> bergman@merctech.com wrote:
=> > In the message dated: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:46:15 EDT,
=> > The pithy ruminations from Greg Helledy on
=> > <[PLUG] What's the best KDE-based distro for noobs at this point?> were:

	[SNIP!]

=> >
=>
=> CentOS is heavily KDE based? I thought that Red Hat had standardized on
=> Gnome. Red Hat Enterprise is Gnome by default as is Fedora Core. I

I may have put it too strongly when I said that RH is "based" on KDE...both
g* and k* are available, all the packages are in the repositories. Right now,
"yum list all" shows 92 packages with "kde" in their name.

=> suppose you can install and use KDE in one but I have not seen a RH
=> system using KDE in years.

AFAIK, once kde is installed, it shows up as an option at the GUI login screen.
The RH GUI admin tools are pretty much WM-agnostic (when they work at
all...their LVM frontend was the only one I liked, and that's broken for any
complex clvm config).

=>
=> OpenSuSE is KDE based. In my opinion, they were and may still be the
=> best KDE distro which is one reason I used them since about SuSE 4 or 5
=> until OpenSuSE 10.2.
=>
=> I would be happy to hear that Red Hat / CentOS runs KDE and runs it well.

Yes, and yes.

Mark

=>
=> Eric
=>
=>
=>
=>
=> --
=> #  Eric Lucas
=> #
=> #                "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth
=> #                 And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
=> #                                        -- John Gillespie Magee Jr
=>
=> Philadelphia Linux Users Group         --        http://www.phillylinux.org
=>