Eric on 31 Mar 2010 13:01:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] dying hd?

jeff wrote:
> Eric wrote:
>
>> ... I've used one but not the other (I think it was dd_recover) and it
>> is essential for what you're trying to do here.  I was able to set it to
>> try a fixed number of times to try to read a bad block and then just
>> continue to the next block without ending the program.  It can also do
>> repeated sweeps of the HD and progressively build up the image.  The
>> latter is particularly useful if the problem(s) you have are
>> intermittent and/or if they "move".
>>

> Just tried dd_recover.  It (and dd) won't see the errant partition.

I would try dd_recover on the entire device (/dev/hdb for example
instead of /dev/hdb2) and see if the resulting file can somehow be
mounted and examined.  It was about 3 or 4 years ago for me so I don't
recall exactly what I had to do for my hard drive recovery.

What happens when you run fdisk -l against the drive?  Anything there?

You may have a head crash or some such damage to the partition table
which would be a bitch.  I believe that ext file systems keep copies of
the file system data (partition data?) at various locations on the
disk.  In that case, you may be able to partially recover by imaging the
entire device and then copying this data from one of it's "backup"
locations over top of the damaged/missing data in the image.

Sadly (or happily) I have not had to do this for years so I simply don't
recall the details.

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas