Edmond Rodriguez on 10 Jun 2010 06:31:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wine usb support (scanner)

I am reluctant to run Qemu as root as well, especially the way I was experimenting with it.

I read a little more on Qemu and and saw the idea of recursively changing the permissions and/or ownership  of /proc/bus/usb , and not have to run it as root.

http://wiki.qemu.org/download/qemu-doc.html#host_005fusb_005fdevices
1. Since only root can access to the USB devices directly, you can
either launch QEMU as root or change the permissions of the USB devices
you want to use. For testing, the following suffices:
  chown -R myuid /proc/bus/usb

Here is the Wine link I saw on USB support.
http://wiki.winehq.org/USB

My Qemu (0.9.1) seems to go on these long hiatuses sometimes still using  CPU time (with or without the USB switch).  Maybe an update will help.

Thanks for the virtualbox suggestion.