Richard Freeman on 26 Aug 2010 10:45:11 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Google chat/video

On 08/26/2010 01:20 PM, John Von Essen wrote:

I like free stuff, but 100's of companies whose business it is to
provide local calling will suffer. Whenever you just wildly offer stuff
for free, in my mind, its a clear indication of trying to wipe out your
competitors.

Or, it is simply an indication that your competitors have an outdated business model. Google is able to connect calls for the price of banner ads. My local telephone company charges 15 cents per minute to do the same thing. The latter is more the result of heavy regulatory burden, and does not really reflect the cost of providing the actual service.

If Google moved to SIP their costs would be even lower (they'd only connect the calls - they wouldn't carry it).

Also - keep in mind that you need to connect to gmail in the first place to use this feature. That requires an internet connection, so you're still paying a utility to provide you a data line. The only difference is that there is a lot less double-dipping this way...

Rich