Edmond Rodriguez on 26 Aug 2010 16:09:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Free Inbound Fax Service?

  • From: Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com>
  • To: bergman@panix.com, "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Free Inbound Fax Service?
  • Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 19:09:51 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=lPLleiw4JiIYrZCwGWn+Q86ufQ17ReCwM0KqS0AdGQc=; b=gSXBN+DJmrAstOJ3lj+/1PSB0W+dYhFWKmth73neo0yoU82RzL3kTIGorKwUYFSAuS vA1xrqt1fmiI4umP0p4Lm7JTYfzbVnLRqXt5kNxIECBMJjySovq91R+KY4Fz0bMHJ/RW r6jBClGZYaZMFpfznoHYCYIArrUQWBHVMcFiI=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I always wondered why one could not write an app for some thing like
Skype to send a fax via your local machine.   Skype for Windows has
some fax plugins, but they appear to use remote sites to send the
faxes and charge the skype account.

I would like something that modulates the fax data on the local
machine and sends it out via an online voice phone service.

I looked into it a little about a year or two back and what I gathered
is the reason it can not be done is because of the codecs.  But if one
were to use the local computer to modulate a low baud rate
transmission, what would be the issues?  Latency may be one of them,
trying to talk to a physical fax machine.  I always wondered how much
latency can be tolerated with fax hardware.

Sending local via Skype, or other service (Google, SIP) would be nice
for security and privacy (no file downloads), but I've never seen it
done.