Edmond Rodriguez on 17 Sep 2010 15:39:57 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Building a command from variables in BASH

  • From: Edmond Rodriguez <erodrig97.list@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Building a command from variables in BASH
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 18:39:51 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=Jm3cEgxcPGT0Y1k3paE6dG0ish2Yj72O92++g5LuOC4=; b=rl4v331wlKfKLknqeHCXfAb/yOmehjz89JHjNyLH4K/qWJXrNT/Xk3vOC4Cf5w2I5f QCt8qTlbSfYydbRveF1K2Bw4vw8dUIv+RIOsbO2yfaGQCntyqxW8dcsOmJ+a8HQFmZSX uVOZl+rU3uJjbCt5GM2+dBWpJFVTdXjYPjSwg=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Thanks for this:  As arguments,  I very much understand your
presentation , as I was taking the quotes literally and it seems
sensitive to how strings/args are built and represented.  I was also
working under the premise that the structure was such that typing the
command straight into a command line (with the variables too) would
work (before going to eval). (but now I would want to experiment more
with that).

You present some very nice execution issues that can creep up on
someone, which I have spent some time playing with.  Thanks for your
comments.

Here is something new I tried while trying your scripts, but probably
not full proof?  I did not investigate further.  Just playing around a
little with the case you presented.     It worked in this case.  Maybe
you have some comments on what would be wrong with doing this:

The idea here would be to get away from the concatenated args and just
produce a string to work off of.
    args="-e 's/foo bar/far sar/g'"
    eval `echo "argtest $args"`

I guess this is getting into the "conjured up code" idea you were referring to.

I was trying think of what problems "echo" might create.  I tried the
following which seemed to work OK too:

args="-e 's/foo bar/far sar/g' '\n' '\`hello\`' 'abc def'"
eval `echo "argtest $args"`

Thanks for improving my bash knowledge!

Edmond