Jason Stelzer on 27 Sep 2010 13:11:22 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Puppet vs Chef?...

  • From: Jason Stelzer <jason.stelzer@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Puppet vs Chef?...
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:11:17 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=NPjM3bDxflEt/BsLtTAayr7eMwsIajB7ljHMUNSM0Fw=; b=o2gNnS3dzcv1Kz123wUhKEzdb40hHEBqjYgt6Jfi5Ymg66QS+YNiElM1INogEBbeuz 95iv8PhSo2bB2JJNmPUePSQ05G8T3SuXozH4XnXBqbBmtH+wJUKDo5xs09wXFzJckD/g 64/HziOdRboxkXz5LIz3nd3UNG+GHdD+9uS68=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

For what it's worth, the difference between puppet vs chef essentially
comes down to 'push' vs 'pull'. There's lots of write ups on it and no
provably 'correct' answer. It really just comes down to your
preferences and needs.

Right now I'm using fabric in python to throw together some 'push'
tools. Eventually I am probably going to want to throw them away and
adopt puppet. For now, some quick scripts to brute force things will
more than get the job done.

I found this url interesting mainly for the observation, but there are
some promising looking python tools to be found too.
http://agiletesting.blogspot.com/2010/03/automated-deployment-systems-push-vs.html

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM, Kyle R. Burton <kyle.burton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you're not hacking on the tool in question, the language it's written in is irrelevant. Sure, sandbox the PHP app for security purposes, but if it fills your needs otherwise, go with it. Unless you're just setting things up as a hobby, getting to B from A is more important--and the users of your apps couldn't care less about what language they're written in.
>
> I don't know puppet - but with Chef, you'll likely end up developing
> your own recipes and templates, which means you'll be writing some
> ruby. ÂNot necessarily complex ruby, but ruby nonetheless.
>
>> Disclaimer: I am a more vocal proponent of perl than you are, and my opinions on other tools range from caustic to unprintable. :) But at the end of the day I'd still go with mediawiki or chef/puppet, e.g.
>
> Do you know of any devops tools or frameworks in Perl?
>
> Regards,
>
> Kyle
>
> --
> Twitter: @kyleburton