Carl Johnson on 5 Oct 2010 06:13:55 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Recent VOIP Experience Anyone?

  • From: Carl Johnson <cjohnson19791979@gmail.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Recent VOIP Experience Anyone?
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:13:56 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-user-agent:references :in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding :subject:from:date:to:message-id; bh=GZfRWw3HZloWwsl16VvjgleDtra4cu0vwOoJpgEtc4M=; b=vxuKTP/geCmA9l7orpeXrR9VsP700a/Tm94KwMROdeY3BH4G9w29glB0ggNZ0hmYso a9sgT+6XUPaU1tFcBWLDNrv8LS6S8NAfx+pUTUb/tMdQHdlisNFMNFdkBKoaQOGS6MWa qU93aCavK8rA/Ci6bPB2LaFAG1R6+q4L4TH1E=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

The box that you have could probably handle that. A few important thing's...
1. make sure you get a decent hardware codec FXS card. (digium or similar)
2. A router with qos.
3. Twisted pair cabling on the analog side. (cat5)

"Eric at Lucii.org" <eric@lucii.org> wrote:

>Good question!  The truth is: I don't know - it's a guess.  I'll have to do some
>planning and research.
>
>I presumed that insufficient processing power and/or RAM would not allow for two
>lines working simultaneously without echo or other audio problems.  In addition,
>this system will be my primary home and business phones so it needs to be
>reliable.  I don't thing a 5-year old PC would be a good choice on either count.
> I have such a PC sitting on a shelf in my basement which is why I mentioned it.
>
>This is my first draft of requirements:
>(It is a home and business system since my office is in my house.)
>
>* Two lines with separate numbers.
>
>* Wired directly into the house wiring so standard 2-line phones can
>  be plugged in throughout the house.
>
>* Voice mail for each line that I would be able to retrieve remotely.
>
>* Route calls automatically by the least expensive route - SIP, Skype,
>  etc. (I don't even know all the options for this yet.)
>
>* Perhaps a third line so that I could conference with three people?
>
>* A powerful UPS or alternative power system for extended operation
>  in a power outage.
>
>* Should be efficient to keep the power bills down and be 'green'.
>
>* I do not expect to have IVR (press 1 for ...) but might add that
>  to the business line in the future.
>
>* Possible future addition: two remote lines for my children who
>  are away at college.
>
>Eric
>

>On 10/04/2010 11:04 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> Since I'll need some new hardware for this project it won't happen right away. I suppose an old 1.5 GigHz P4 PC with 512 MB of PC-100 RAM won't give me satisfactory service with Asterisk :-)
>>

>> Why not? How elaborate of a setup are you planning?
>>
>> "Eric at Lucii.org" <eric@lucii.org> wrote:
>>
>> Three things...
>>
>> One: I don't like the locked down aspect of Vonage either.
>>
>> Two: Vonage may seem very aggressive with their price but the core service,
>> connectivity, is extremely cheap.  I _suspect_ that Vonage is making money hand
>> over fist and the price is all out of proportion to the underlying technology cost.
>>
>> Three: The MagicJack is no longer on my 'recommend' list.  This week I found out
>> that you cannot call the freeconferencecall.com - or any other free conference
>> call company from your MagicJack.  Instead, they sneakily re-direct you to their
>> own free conference call system.
>>
>> It turns out that they might be doing this to avoid "huge fees" from the CLEC
>> that routes the conference call.  See:
>> http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/2009/09/02/16566/
>> What these "huge" fees are I don't know but for $20/year income it won't take
>> too many per line to start losing money.  In any event, why won't the MagicJack
>> company be up front about that?  Why not offer me the opportunity to pay the
>> fees for those calls where they can't cover them?  This is poor corporate
>> behavior in my opinion.

> [...]

Sent from my Android powered wireless handheld device