Eric at Lucii.org on 10 Oct 2010 10:55:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 boot problem(s)

Conor:

Success!

The "trick" to getting Ubuntu 10.04 to boot without a GUI is to remove the
"quiet splash" from the grub2 command line and replace it with "nomodeset".  How
intuitive.

Once in, I ran dpkg --purge on:

gdm
gdm-guest-session
x11-xserver-utils
xserver-xorg
xserver-xorg-core
xserver-xorg-video-intel
xserver-xorg-video-openchrome
xserver-xorg-video-radeon

nvidia-173-modaliases
nvidia-96-nodaliases
nvidia-common
nvidia-current
nvidia-current-modaliases
nvidia-settings

Then, I used apt-get install on the identical list except for the nvidia files.

Strangely, it installed ALL the xserver-xorg drivers or at least a large sub-set
of them.

Rebooted and was met with a GDM screen.

Thanks for the support.

How goes your recovery?

Eric

On 10/10/2010 12:58 PM, Conor Schaefer wrote:
> After you did these things did you update the boot image? The command
> contains initramfs and takes the -u flag (for update) IIRC. The way GRUB
> works these days, those conf files just dictate how the images will he
> generated, I think.
>
> Sorry if you already did this, just checking. Not doing it would explain
> why changes were made to conf files, but the results of those changes
> aren't obvious when you reboot.
>
> Now, if you've also tried pre-boot editing of the commands by pressing
> "e" on a kernel, editing, then using ctrl+x to boot, that should
> definitely be working! Double check your syntax and proper flag
> formatting, but you're right to try that.
>
> Sent from my mobile device (Nexus One)
>
> On Oct 10, 2010 12:50 PM, "Eric" <eric@lucii.org
> <mailto:eric@lucii.org>> wrote:

- --