Richard Freeman on 8 Nov 2010 07:53:02 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On 11/08/2010 12:53 AM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> I really doubt that the Zimbra and Gentoo audiences overlap. I'm not
> that surprised that you ran into difficulty.

Yup.  It really seems like they just intend that people will deploy this
as an appliance, and not really as an application maintained by a
distro.  As a result, they don't have a distro-friendly build system.

In that sense, they have more of an excuse than Google/etc, who actually
build desktop applications.

Of course, that doesn't excuse the fact that their build system doesn't
work well for the desktop client piece.

Maybe one of these days I'll see if I can find a virtualbox appliance
version of it / etc, and try it out.  However, it doesn't really feel
like open source to me.  I'd probably consider it as a competitor to the
likes of gmail/outlook (it is, after all, more open then those), but not
really to something like Thunderbird/Courier/etc.  I doubt I'd ever use
it to manage my email at home...

Rich