Sean M. Collins on 8 Nov 2010 10:17:06 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On 11/8/10 10:52 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> Maybe one of these days I'll see if I can find a virtualbox appliance
> version of it / etc, and try it out.  However, it doesn't really feel
> like open source to me.

No, it's certainly open source. I think what you mean to say, is that
it's not as easy to port and build as most FOSS software is. It
certainly does make some assumptions about the filesystem layout during
the build process, but in Zimbra's defense, it's a huge software stack.
They bundle an MTA at the bottom, and a huge amount of middleware, then
a web interface at the top, oh and a mail client. Lots of moving parts.

>  I'd probably consider it as a competitor to the
> likes of gmail/outlook (it is, after all, more open then those), but not
> really to something like Thunderbird/Courier/etc.

No, because Thunderbird is just an MUA and Courier is an IMAP/POP
server. Zimbra is a groupware system. Calendaring, MTA, MUA, contact
management, etc...

Having a mail client is a tiny, tiny, tiny part of what Zimbra solves.
It's like saying Exchange is just an MTA.

>  I doubt I'd ever use
> it to manage my email at home...

Good god, no. Not for one person. That's way overboard.

--
Sean Collins
Core IT Pro, LLC