Richard Freeman on 8 Nov 2010 14:17:28 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On 11/08/2010 01:17 PM, Sean M. Collins wrote:
> On 11/8/10 10:52 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:
> No, it's certainly open source. I think what you mean to say, is that
> it's not as easy to port and build as most FOSS software is.

Yup - that's what I meant.  It doesn't FEEL like open source - it
doesn't have that nice comforting feeling that I usually get from it.
While not OSI-approved, the license basically seems to be in the spirit
of open source.

>>  I'd probably consider it as a competitor to the
>> likes of gmail/outlook (it is, after all, more open then those), but not
>> really to something like Thunderbird/Courier/etc.
>
> No, because Thunderbird is just an MUA and Courier is an IMAP/POP
> server. Zimbra is a groupware system. Calendaring, MTA, MUA, contact
> management, etc...

Again, I was thinking more in terms of the cleanness of it as a distro /
piece of software.  I wouldn't consider it a competitor to
Thunderbird+apache+clamav+squirrelmail+courier+postfix either, but I
would consider it a competitor to
Outlook+IIS+McAfee+OutlookWebAccess+Exchange.  It isn't about features -
it is about being clean, open, and generally doing things the Unix way.
 Compared to the former it seems better-integrated, but less open.
Compared to the latter it clearly is much more open.

>>  I doubt I'd ever use
>> it to manage my email at home...
>
> Good god, no. Not for one person. That's way overboard.

Hey, that hasn't stopped me from using thunderbird + apache + clamav +
squirrelmail + procmail + postgrey + dspam + courier-imap + postfix.  It
hasn't stopped me from running a samba domain with roaming profiles
either.  One of these days I might get my one phone line running through
asterisk as well.

At home, I don't really need the calendaring though.  Once you get rid
of the calendaring requirement there are actually a bunch of options.
What I'm running is a fairly straightforward approach to that -
IMAP+SMTP makes everything easy.

Rich