Richard Freeman on 9 Nov 2010 05:56:47 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Linux Today Posting: Google Sues The US Government For Only Considering Microsoft Solutions

On 11/08/2010 10:52 AM, Richard Freeman wrote:

> Maybe one of these days I'll see if I can find a virtualbox appliance
> version of it / etc, and try it out.

Well, my curiosity got the better of me so I started looking into this.

However, this is actually easier said than done.  They have stopped
supporting 32-bit, and while I run 64-bit I do not have hardware
virtualization support, which means I can't run 64-bit guests.  So, I
could install it on an ancient version of ubuntu, or I could install it
on ubuntu 10.10 server if I got qemu working, probably at a glacial pace.

Has anybody actually used qemu?  How slow would it be running a 64-bit
guest on a 64-bit platform with 512MB of virtual RAM?  How much physical
RAM is this likely to consume (is there a lot of overhead?).

Seems like this probably isn't worth the effort.  It would probably be
easier to set up a 32-bit gentoo virtual machine, and then use it to
build the 32-bit zimbra from source (who knows how long that would
take), and then run it from there.

I'm a bit surprised they've already dropped 32-bit support.  I guess as
long as people only put it on new hardware they're fine with that
approach - it seems to be geared towards running on a dedicated server
anyway...

Rich