Conor Schaefer on 30 Nov 2010 12:22:04 -0800

Re: [PLUG] xubuntu GUI samba client

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 3:15 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
On 11/30/2010 02:57 PM, Eric at Lucii.org wrote:

Subsequently, I've been using it for testing on a project but now that I find I
cannot easily reach my file server I guess I'll just replace it with an Ubuntu
install and be done with it.

I'm an Xubuntu warrior but finding these types of things highly annoying.

I have recently started using Crunchbang Linux, and I have none of these problems, with a very minimal desktop experience. I believe my system now idles at around 150 MB of RAM usage after boot. The file manager I'm using is PC Man File Manager, which is the default for Crunchbang 9.04.1. Samba mounts work effortlessly in the GUI file manager. Perhaps you could try installing the "pcmanfm" package from the *ubuntu repos, and save yourself the trouble of reinstalling the whole desktop?