Richard Freeman on 30 Nov 2010 13:44:18 -0800

Re: [PLUG] xubuntu GUI samba client

On 11/30/2010 02:12 PM, Art Alexion wrote:
> Personally, I never saw the point of xubuntu as you had to load gnome stuff to
> do any work.  Then, instead of a lightweight wm/environment, you had
> gnome+xfce instead of just gnome when using vanilla ubuntu.  Alsio, if running
> a lightweight desktop is your goal install ubuntu server and then install e17
> as your x wm.

I can't say I've ever seriously used xubuntu, but I'm running xfce and
like it.  Occasionally I have to run a KDE or Gnome app, but that isn't
a big deal.  I'm not concerned with the disk space use of their
dependencies, but I am very concerned with RAM use.  To use either KDE
or Gnome requires having a lot of stuff in RAM all the time.  To use
xfce and occasionally run a Gnome/KDE app is a lot easier to cope with.
 Chances are that one app won't use a ton of RAM, and it is all freed
the moment you hit quit.

I don't frequently need to browse smb hosts - when I do I just use
smbclient.  However, if I had to I guess I'd just use knoqueror or
nautilus or whatever to do it.  Maybe somebody has a dedicated GUI smb
browser that is lightweight.

The day somebody adds all the features of Gnome/KDE to Xfce is probably
the day that I'll stop using it.  What is the point in having a
lightweight desktop environment if it isn't lightweight?

Rich