Mark Mehalik on 6 Dec 2010 12:55:25 -0800

Re: [PLUG] big/little endian?

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Art Alexion <arthur@alexion.com> wrote:
On Monday, December 06, 2010 03:32:06 pm Mark Mehalik wrote:
> Endianness is a hardware thing. Intel x86,x64, and itaniums are always
> little endian. This isn't your issue.

So, Mac intel and PC intel are both little endian, I guess?

Yup, big endianness is an honor reserved entirely for big iron and dedicated UNIX machines(by dedicated UNIX I mean 'expensive').

Here's a good synopsis of popular modern and recently deceased hardware/software/endianness:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness#Endianness_and_operating_systems_on_architectures

In looking back it looks like itanium can't make up it's mind(is bi-endian), so I was a bit wrong there.

Either way, that's not your issue, and multimedia can be a real PIA, good luck. :-)

-mark