Doug Stewart on 6 Dec 2010 12:59:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] big/little endian?

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM, Art Alexion <arthur@alexion.com> wrote:

> So, Mac intel and PC intel are both little endian, I guess?

Wikipedia has an excellent (if verbose) discourse on Endianness:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness

Short answer: x86 is little-endian, no matter what you're running on
it. IA-64 is a different beast.

>> I'd bet your trouble is some sort of codec compliance issue. Perhaps a
>> version issue?
>>
>> Also if the file is somehow corrupted, or incorrectly encoded, some
>> programs might be more lenient with inline repairs than others.
>
> I am really new to mac.  I don't feel comfortable with it like I do Linux or
> even Windows.  They seem finicky with what they support if the software in any
> way relies on the core stuff, like quick time.  I know that the flac
> capabilities of VLC and Songbird don't rely at all on Quick Time so compliance
> may be an issue.

You'll be wanting Perian for all your extra codec needs internal to
Quicktime: http://www.perian.org/

While you've got it up on blocks, you'll want Visor
(http://visor.binaryage.com/ -- think "Quake Console for my Mac") and
Quicksilver (http://www.blacktree.com/ -- direct program launching via
a few small keystrokes).

--