Edmond Rodriguez on 28 Dec 2010 13:23:22 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Old IDE drive on USB enclosure with Linux

Sorry, what I meant to say was that attached to an ide cable on my old
machine (no enclosure), Kubuntu (kernel 2.6.8) says the disk is
unreadable.  For example, I say "fdisk /dev/sdb" and it says "disk
unreadable".    I know I am getting to the disk, because I can hear
and feel it respond to the command, even though it fails.

But in Slackware (Kernel 2.4.22) I can say "fdisk /dev/hdb" and all is
well.  It shows me the three partitions on the disk and I have also
mounted each one and used them.

As far as the USB enclosure box, I think I tried all the jumper
settings once before, but will try again to be sure.