Edmond Rodriguez on 17 Jan 2011 07:48:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

I remember my first experience with Linux wireless in a coffee shop.
I managed a connection of sorts, but I could not use the internet.   I
talked to a friend on the phone and he told me "You need an IP
address".   Huh?   (I was mostly familiar with PPP setups on Linux).
He would somehow make his own IP address like you mentioned below
(192.168.1.10*).    But I wouldn't do it because I was worried I might
take an address being used by someone else in the coffee shop and thus
mess something up (I thought Linux had this sort of power with the
"tweaking" abilities it has.)   I guess that's not possible as the
router would have already leased out such an IP address (I actually
never tried to duplicate an IP address).

I would have had the next issue of name servers (but I knew a few I
think, probably not what I would have automatically gotten though with
dhcpc).

I began more research and learned of the dhcpcd command, which solved
my problems mostly, and I passed this discovery on back to my friend.
  So I guess we both learned something.