Lee Marzke on 17 Jan 2011 12:14:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

I've used numerous WiFi shops over the last 3/4 years with Ubuntu. Generally there are few issues. I"ve even had corporate locations where I stayed connected all day on a VPN, and the local users couldn't stay connected for more then minutes
due to interference I suspect.

I had one particular hotspot, where I could get an IP, DNS and default route
from DHCP.    However I could not get DNS resolving to work, and pinging
IP's directly without DNS,  didn't work though the router.  This location
had a Verizon ActionTec router , presumably on FIOS.

Since then I've run into the same problem at other locations.

I then installed Verizon Business FIOS at home,  I found the exact same
problem with ActionTec again. The tech could connect his Windows toughbook and it worked fine, but on Ubuntu, IP,gw was fine, but no traffic. Even the web
management page of the router failed to come up.

Even telnet to the router ( telnet 192.168.x.1 80 ) and typing "get / HTTP/1.1" failed
to retrieve the router's management login page.

I bypassed the ActionTec router and connected the FIOS ONT directly to my
Endian firewall and all worked fine.

So is there a generic software problem with Verizon's  ActionTec router  ?

How can telnet to port 80 fail to work on Linux, but work correctly under
Windows unless the router protocol is terribly broken.

Are their others that have has issue with the ActionTec/Verizon router failing
to work ?

Lee