Floyd Johnson on 16 Jan 2011 10:46:13 -0800

[PLUG] Do you feel like you're a Linux dude(tte) in a 'Doze/Mac world?

Afternoon, PLUGgers.

I think this cafe's WiFi apparatus was giving me bum DHCP info. It seems
to have been set to give nameserver addresses further upstream than the
router (they were in the 71.242.0 and 71.252.0 blocks)-the router's IP
being in the good ol' 192.168.1 block. It took me most of an hour to
figure out how to tell my Ubuntu boxlet the correct way to aim its DNS
queries right at the router in here (Tuscany Cafe just off Rittenhouse
Square).

Do you guys find yourselves in similar moments, in which you're flying
the most sophisticated laptop amongst your fellow cafe patrons, and
having the worst time of the lot getting online? Or, on the other hand,
do you feel like hot stuff because you are able to essentially MacGyver
your machine to solve such problems?