Rich Freeman on 16 Jan 2011 07:39:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Zimbra/Android - Was LDAP addressbooks

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 10:07 AM, Morgan Jones <morgan@morganjones.org> wrote:
> Just for the record: Zimbra is not using cyrus, they're imap, pop, web and
> lmtp server is a java application that they wrote.  It is no longer running
> in Tomcat but instead Jetty.

You know, I think I might eat some of my words with regard to Zimbra.
In general I'm not a big fan of doing a lot of upstream inclusion, but
if you look at Zimbra as a distro and not as an app it makes more
sense.  I'd probably prefer it if they had a more app-oriented model,
but I guess if you want to just set up a vserver and let it rip it
makes sense.

After getting the CR-48 and moving to more of a cloud model I think
that I'm seeing a lot of weakness in FOSS offerings.  FOSS tends to be
very client-heavy.  FOSS has few cloud-oriented offerings.  Of course,
the GPL v2 doesn't help here, since in a cloud model anybody can use
FOSS without having to give back, since the code doesn't get
redistributed.  Some GPL v3 provisions would help here.

It would be nice to see more FOSS offerings that are competitive with
things like gmail, google docs, google calendar, etc.  Android and
Chromium/ChromiumOS support would also be nice (as in you patch these
packages to sync/authenticate with an open platform instead of with
Google).  I don't mind running my own servers if I need to.

Right now I'm just hosting my own mail and sending a copy of
everything to Gmail, and then backing up the other services
periodically.  This does nothing to protect me from privacy concerns,
but it does at least ensure that if the cloud fails that I won't lose
much.

Rich