Edmond Rodriguez on 13 May 2011 14:59:02 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Future of Skype on Linux?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 00:24:16 -0400, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> I know they use supernodes to keep track of all the users, so that end
>> user machines may be used to help keep track of everyone logged on.
>> But I did no think they relayed voice or video traffic over another's
>> machine.  Most of it is P2P.   When a relay for voice traffic is used,
>> are you saying it goes through an end user machine and not one of
>> their own servers?   I was not aware of that.
>>

> How else do you want to connect to somebody who is behind a nat ?

There are various techniques that are used, right pluggers?  A Stun
(or is it STUN) server comes to mind, though Skype may have their own
way of doing things.   In some cases it is not always successful, but
often is.   When not, a relay is needed, but often a P2P connection
can be accomplished.  It just has to be negotiated via a middle
server, which then can get out of the way.   Any big network people
out there to embellish?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN

I am answering cautiously, so someone else, do please jump in and
acknowledge,  add, or correct what I am saying.