Edmond Rodriguez on 13 May 2011 15:25:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Future of Skype on Linux?

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:58 PM, Edmond Rodriguez
<erodrig97.list@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Julien Vehent <julien@linuxwall.info> wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 May 2011 00:24:16 -0400, Edmond Rodriguez wrote:
>>>
>>> I know they use supernodes to keep track of all the users, so that end
>>> user machines may be used to help keep track of everyone logged on.
>>> But I did no think they relayed voice or video traffic over another's
>>> machine.  Most of it is P2P.   When a relay for voice traffic is used,
>>> are you saying it goes through an end user machine and not one of
>>> their own servers?   I was not aware of that.
>>>

>> How else do you want to connect to somebody who is behind a nat ?
>>

> There are various techniques that are used, right pluggers?  A Stun
> (or is it STUN) server comes to mind, though Skype may have their own
> way of doing things.   In some cases it is not always successful, but
> often is.   When not, a relay is needed, but often a P2P connection
> can be accomplished.  It just has to be negotiated via a middle
> server, which then can get out of the way.   Any big network people
> out there to embellish?  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STUN
>
> I am answering cautiously, so someone else, do please jump in and
> acknowledge,  add, or correct what I am saying.

"Some peer-to-peer designs allow for the user to control whether their
node is a supernode; others do not. For example, Skype by default is
configured as a supernode, an issue that has caused controversy.
Despite criticism, Skype has contended that supernodes on their
network act only to maintain information about who is online at a
given time, and are not used to route calls between users. Beginning
with version 3.0, Skype allows users to avoid becoming a supernode by
modifying the Windows registry."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernode_%28networking%29