Haig Didizian on 10 Jun 2011 08:50:52 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Security Cameras

Great sig!

Regards,
Haig

On 6/9/2011 8:19 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
one word.....   Zoneminder

Sent from my Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

John Karr<brainbuz@brainbuz.org>  wrote:

Security Cameras

I find myself needing to install a security camera and figured this
community would have a lot of good cost effective ideas with a bias
towards the open source and the cheap. Because one of the confusing
issues is cctv vs network cameras, I'm going to ask that the discussion
be restricted to network based solutions that don't require a dedicated
cctv base station or the installation of a capture card into a
computer.

Let me describe my security needs.

Primary Problem: Barking Dog Cam
My neighbor's dog stands at the fence to my yard and barks at my house.
This is whenever they let him out unattended. This can be for hours on
end. I've talked to them about it several times. I've filed one
complaint with the city, but to cite them the inspector needs to
witness the dog barking for at least 5 minutes. If the dog is outside
barking 10% or even just 5% of the time this is extremely annoying to
me, but the odds are against an inspector on one or two random visits
witnessing it. The camera will need to be an outdoor camera, which will
be attached to  a bush or a fence. I need to record audio (and it seems
a lot of security cameras lack this feature). Bark activated is ideal,
but motion sensing would work since he comes to a specific spot for
most of his barking. My objective is to be able to post time-stamped
video of the dog barking to youtube that a city animal complaints
inspector can easily view, or that I can use in court as evidence when
I sue them to remove the animal from their property.

Secondary Problem: Offender Bird Identification
Another animal related issue I have is birds defacing vehicles parked
in front of my house. My roommate went so far as to contact a
professional in the field of bird nuisances, who needs to be able to
identify species and patterns to work out a remediation plan. The best
plan here might simply be to just record video continuously for a
couple of days.