Grabowy, Chris on 8 Aug 2011 10:43:00 -0700

Re: [PLUG] EXTERNAL: Re: Comcast going all digital for me

> ...you are at the mercy of the cable company.  In
> theory they can work great, but at any time some
> of your channels could stop working, and your
> only recourse is the legendary cable customer
> service number.

So my limited understanding of cablecards...

Cablecards actually came out a long time ago.  The TV makers started making TVs that accepted cablecards, but the cable companies never really cared if the cablecards worked in those TVs for the obvious reason of making the customer rent a box instead.

Time passes no one cares about cablecards the TV makers stop adding that feature to their TVs.  So the FCC mandates that going forward all new cable boxes will need to use a cablecard.  Suddenly cablecards start working.  Tivo jumps on that bandwagon.

And so I have two Tivos that use cablecards and knock on wood, have been working really well.  I do not recall having ANY problems with the cablecard.  Again, the cable companies are forced to use cablecards in their own cable boxes...

So IMHO you should be fine using a cablecard...

BTW, cablecards are not required to be used by the satellite cable companies.  And IMHO, that's a huge loss for those companies, since I will never switch to them because of my Tivo investments.

Goodluck.  It stinks not having a good, reliable DVR...