Art Alexion on 22 Aug 2011 04:57:59 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Ctrl-Alt-Backspace (was Re: Debian unstable locking up and corrupting filesystem)

On Aug 21, 2011, at 9:03 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:

On Saturday 20 August 2011 7:17:12 PM Eric at Lucii.org wrote:
Have you tried ctr-atl-backspace?

That will kill off the X server IF the keyboard is responding.
Alan's suggestion of ssh-ing to the system is good too.  These help to
identify if the problem is just the X server and/or video or if it's deeper
than that.

That never works for me anymore.  I think it may have something to do with the
evdev driver that X uses now.   Does this still work for you?

Ubuntu has been disabling it by default, but you can re-enable it. I don't recall the steps, but it's an easy google to find. I lament the disappearance of ctrl+u in gnome as well.

The original problem sounds like a disk or memory problem to me, as well. Try exiting your X session, and letting the machine sit at the command prompt for a while. If it locks as it does with the gui, then it is unlikely video related.

--
Art Alexion