Eric at Lucii.org on 28 Aug 2011 11:12:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Need IDE Recommendation

Casey:

Caveat: I develop with PHP, perl, various dialects of SQL, and shell, not Python
(yet!)

I've tried a number of IDE's (Eclipse, Komodo(sp?), NetBeans, Zend....)
They all seem to me to be very complex and require the user adapt to the tool's
workflow.  (In addition, just learning the new vocabulary for Eclipse was
maddening.)  I never heard of 'Eric' but since that's my name I suppose I should
check it out :-)

I ended up settling on a combination of xterms (with ssh/sftp as required) and
Jedit (jedit.org).

Although written in and focused on Java, jedit has numerous plugins supporting a
wide variety of languages.  Since it supports ftp/sftp with a plugin, I can work
remotely with ease.  In short, it gave me what I want in a powerful, multi-pane
editor and allows me to handle the other aspects of the project as I like via
the shell, scripts, git, etc.  There is a "project" plugin but I have elected to
use the "session" plugin instead.  Session allows me the flexibility to edit
groups of files related to a specific "project" or aspect of the project (for
example: 'smithco proj. - GUI' and 'smithco proj. - server') and switching from
one to another is reasonably trivial.

One drawback is that I'm also fluent in vi/vim which means that I end up
inserting things like "esc :w' or 'jjjjjj' or 'xxxxxxxx' on occasion.  That's
okay since I also enter ctrl-s (save file in jedit) in vim on occasion and that,
of course, freezes the xterm output until I press ctrl-Q.  Jeez, my life is so
hard :-D

Free as in beer.  Works on Linux (of course) and Windows too (should you be so
restricted.)  Recommended.

Good luck in your hunt.

Eric

On 08/28/2011 12:32 PM, Casey Bralla wrote:
> I'm starting some heavy coding on a custom Project Management application. The
> program is a web-based application written in python which makes heavy use of a
> MySQL backend.
>

> I'm very new to IDE's and would like some recommendations for a system. Here are
> my requirements (or at least, what I think I need):
>

> 1. Free (as in beer)
>
> 2. Automatic python syntax highlighting
>
> 3. Python code formatting (ie: automatically fix indenting)
>
> 4. Spell checking (Very important, since I'm a dyslexic typist and actual
> customers will see my web pages)
>
> 5. Generally easy to use (I'm new to this type of tool)
>
> 6. Formatted printing for good paper records
>
> 7. Automatic detection of HTML snippets
>

> Currently, I'm using geany, which seems adequate, but is not fantastic. I've
> tried Eric, but found it a little confusing since it had so much power.
>

> What do you recommend for the non-professional coder who has to produce
> professional output?
>
> --
>

> Casey Bralla
>
> Chief Nerd in Residence