JP Vossen on 29 Aug 2011 00:08:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Open File via SFTP

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2011 18:28:33 -0400
From: Casey Bralla<MailList@nerdworld.org>

In my recent search for a Python IDE, Eric Lucas praised JEdit in part because
it can do a simple Open/Save via FTP or SFTP. [...]

My question for the group is "does this feature already exist inside your
favorite application?"

The way I usually solve that problem is via SSHFS. You can also use Gnome "Places > Connect to Server" or the KDE equivalent, but they seem to bury the mount point and not work as well (for me) as SSHFS. And this works for anything! I've even nested [Remote] <--> [SSHFS/Samba] <--> [Windows] one or twice to get "Windows GUI" access (work stuff) to a remote machine that couldn't talk to the Windows box but both windows and remote could talk to a third Linux box. Ugly as anything but it worked.

SSHFS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSHFS) is the coolest thing since, well, SSH. On the remote server side, *all* you need is SSH (which is the majority of the coolness). On the local client side, you need FUSE and SSHFS, both of which are in the repos and Just Work.

Then you do a mount:
	sshfs [user@]host:[dir] mountpoint [options]

I wrote a little wrapper, and that's how I mount my "home" stuff. I can't really NFS share /home/$USER because I run different versions of Ubuntu and I don't want race and other problems on all my ~/.gnome and whatever files and configs. But I still want *data* shared. So I run my wrapper and get ~/MyDocs, ~/PUB, etc...

So, in this case (note SCP-like syntax):
	mkdir project
	sshfs casey@some.server:project project
	geany project/foo.py
		# edit, edit, edit; done
	fusermount -u project && rmdir project

A trivial wrapper with a case statement can simplify that a bit...

Later,
JP