Jeremy Kister on 28 Mar 2012 08:59:39 -0700

Re: [PLUG] djbdns vs bind

On 3/26/2012 4:41 PM, Claude M. Schrader wrote:
I need to implement a DNS server, and was wondering what people's
recommendations are at this point? It looks like the debian-maintained
dbndns is the current fork of djbdns with some momentum behind it?

unless you need dnssec or ipv6 support that isnt already available for djbdns, i'd highly suggest djbdns.

i find djbdns to be extremely easy to work with; it's designed to be scripting friendly. in addition, the project can even be called 'finished', which is rare with an internet-exposed application.

I like using my own flavor of djbdns which is at http://jeremy.kister.net/code/djbdns-1.05.isp.patch. don't let the name fool you, it's for much more than just an ISP.

I also have code at http://jeremy.kister.net/code/djbdns-stats/ which is a cute stats package that makes it easy to see what your server is doing as well as providing easy access to the info for graphing/monitoring.

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./