Doug Stewart on 7 Apr 2012 05:46:17 -0700

Re: [PLUG] revision control systems: your faves?

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 3:09 AM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> Oh yeah, everyone loves github, but Bzr has Launchpad, Hg has something, and
> Sourceforge.net lets you use any of them.

I use Bitbucket (http://bitbucket.org) for ALL my Hg code hosting. I
find Hg to be all-around easier and more "ergonomic" than git; git is
a German automobile -- efficient, tightly-designed but with few
amenities for the user (i.e., NO affordances for options short-cuts or
best guesses when you mis-type, "Vat? Doesn't EVERYONE vant straight
edges on everysing? You vill conform YOURSELF to ze tool!") while Hg
is a high-end hand-built British luxury car (fits you like a glove,
prone to occasional break-downs and maybe slightly less technically
savvy than the Germans).

However, few folks seem to know about Bitbucket and the community is
necessarily smaller because of such, so I tend to use Hg-Git
(http://hg-git.github.com/) to sync my Hg repos with Github. Plus,
there's no Gists-like functionality on Bb (at least not yet --
https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issue/516/mercurial-backed-pastebin-bb-672).

That's my $.02.

--
-Doug