Michael Lazin on 8 Apr 2012 08:54:40 -0700

Re: [PLUG] sshd on sabayon

You hit the nail on the head.  The problem was the pesky firewall.  I didn't install it, it came on there by default.  I removed it and rebooted the computer and ssh worked fine.  I'm copying my tarball backup over right now.  It's nice to know that saybayon comes locked down, but I need to be able to ssh to make backups.  I typically use sshfs to mount my laptop filesystem on my desktop when I want to make/restore a backup.

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Michael Lazin <microlaser@gmail.com> wrote:
> Traceroute from the desktop shows no hops.  They are connected to the same
> router with a wire.  Could the problem be that I have two IPs and two
> network interfaces, and I am not binding ssh service to the right one?  I
> want to be listening on 192.168.2.136, the wired connection.

That is a potential problem (run netstat -tlpn | grep sshd to find out
what it is bound to).  However, the fact that you're using ufw as a
firewall is the more likely problem.  I'm not a netfilter expert and
ufw has complex rules set up, but the fact that I don't see anything
accepting ssh connections suggests they're getting dropped.

Chances are somewhere in ufw there is a place to configure ports to
open, and you'll want to open port 22.

Rich

Michael Lazin

to gar auto estin noein te kai ennai