Bill East on 14 Apr 2012 14:42:21 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] Rsync failing in cron due to ssh permissions
- From: Bill East <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] Rsync failing in cron due to ssh permissions
- Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 17:42:16 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type; bh=yoxthSbhn9GpPDnBCTbSctWFNb0WJg3C9D5o9XVPb0w=; b=za0UTnYW2vXiIkyKPrAq9GhvB3zrQ4dPETf3G83d7FVk1JHk3Ar1/vfwufIqis2kiM eBg3oc++yXJmzaPSpkyn6bB3PQjhni1PFpHqbTsSaR2wAFDLgGb/kGTvMYE2lqgd5Hys +HwWHPvbOx8qpSVkrBn16XDdP42CvWFw7iXGCkVxeT1/MmAjbCqLx7Ajv/hihY6OHQUq XcjGNe8O2iUQvRK0ugGWLWZpZF3o+saVWxog14wuORyAUMAU6C1DS93Fa+ErRY/h4eSN Vi2gLrSV8a8rOP0EiNmpsTyiX2j+EyHWqHV5tI1GMNLnF9TfMxg0AHl+bg7Cdbh1xvab +vnw==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: firstname.lastname@example.org
I've got a simple task, rsyncing a couple of directories. So I first tested in command line, then in a shell script, then in cron. The first two... worked. The last... didn't. Cron reported "failed to exec ssh - Permission denied (13)" So after some fruitless fiddling around I thought to try ssh on its own. A shell script that just did 'ssh -vv -l user -i /path/to/key destination.domain touch fred.txt'
Again, worked from the command line and the script, failed from cron. I got the incredibly helpful cron error:
/usr/bin/ssh: Permission denied.
So... /usr/bin/ssh is set to 755. I don't see anything in /etc/ssh/ssh_config that would prohibit cron from running it. The cron daemon itself is running as root - it's Dillon's crond if that's important.
Thoughts? Is this so painfully obvious I just can't see it?
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug