John Karr on 27 Apr 2012 20:04:16 -0700

Re: [PLUG] There's gotta be a better way

The only reliable way to run Windows software on Linux is to use
virtualization.

VMWare player for Linux is available without charge and is much more solid
that virtualbox.

Qemu-kvm hasn't crashed on me for several months now, and since it is both
gpl and favored by the Linux kernel developers over the other two options, I
can now actually recommend it.

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Martin Dellwo
Sent: Friday, April 27, 2012 10:52 PM
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List
Subject: Re: [PLUG] There's gotta be a better way

Found this after google search of 'ie9 on linux':

http://primozverdnik.com/2011/06/run-ie9-in-virtualbox-for-free/
http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/test-websites-in-internet-explorer-9-8.html

So, per your last option below, you shouldn't need to pay for a license!

Marty

On Apr 27, 2012, at 10:16 PM, Floyd Johnson wrote:

> I just blew three hours repairing and retesting a half-dozen webpages in
IE 9, and to do it, I had to switch to Win7 and use WordPad for editing.

> Finding the needed menus during editing was a pain due to some goofy HIG
redesign that made the menu bar less obvious. I also made more mistakes, as
WordPad isn't really a programmer's editor. Also raising my hackles was that
I could only have one of the many files open at a time. At risk of pulling
another "grass versus Astroturf" bit, even the humble gEdit, which came in
the original LiveCD-borne installation, answered both those issues, so, had
I been able to see what IE9 saw of my site in Fedora 16, I'd likely have
knocked out the task in at most 90 minutes.

> What, given the following, is the best way to get IE8-9 running inside a
Linux environment?
> -IE8 under Wine crashes on launch.
> -For some reason, I can't get the mid-April-made timelocked IE8 VHD to
work in either VirtualBoxOSE or the regular VirtualBox 4.1.4. The virtual
machine gives a brief BSOD during boot, then reboots with the option of
launching Startup Repair.

> Is it possible that, for reliable IE8 to 9 render/JS testing, I need to
suck it up and shell out for a Win7 install disk, then install it in a nice,
safe VirtualBox VM?

Martin Dellwo
cell: (484) 437-3662
martin.dellwo@gmail.com