Art Alexion on 7 Jul 2012 12:21:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux friendly tablet?

On Saturday, July 7, 2012, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM, jeff <jeffv@op.net> wrote:
> --> OH YEAH - android ain't linux.
> I really wanted it to be but it's way more frustrating and invasive.  On my
> machines, I have a great deal of control over when and why things start up.
> On my tablet and phone, stuff starts up on its own, for no good reason.
> Unless I root, I cannot have executive control over this behavior (and even
> then....).

Yeah, one of the things that annoys me about Android.  The only thing
that annoys me more is the "that's a feature not a bug" attitude
anytime you question it.

I'm fine with the wonderful OS that knows what needs to use RAM better
than I do thing, up until the point that it doesn't.

Usually the discussion goes back and forth maybe once before my next
favorite line comes along "just don't use that app."  Uh, sure, but
what is the point of having a phone that can run apps when most of
them misbehave and the OS can't manage them?

Again, Android really needs to give the user more control over the
experience.  If I only want to run Facebook interactively, then don't
run its service except when I'm running the app.  Yes, I know that
isn't how the developer intended it to be run, and I don't

Yeah, with the lack of love for iOS from many, iPads don't have this problem. And the task killer is built into the OS.

--
artAlexion
Μιλάω ή γαϊδουρια κλάνωv?