Jay Dobies on 10 Jul 2012 05:08:42 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Amazon MP3 Downloader

On 07/09/2012 11:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
I'd say we should raise a stink about this, but Google showed me lots of
people complaining about the problem and saying they had raised a stink and
got nowhere. :-(  Boo Amazon...

I never got the point of fancy dedicated downloaders anyway.  It is a
DRM-free mp3, why not just have a regular link that uses a session
cookie for authentication or whatever?  Or better still make it a
one-time-use link that expires so that you don't even need to manage
the cookie to use wget/etc.

For a small time, if you bought a single MP3, it was a direct download. It was just the full albums that used an .amz. I believe that's changed though; if I remember correctly, last time I bought just a song it was still an .amz.

Clamz is awesome though, I've been using it for amazon downloads for years. It made it into the Fedora repos which makes life even easier. I prefer it to the more heavy weight windows parallel that comes from Amazon itself.

Maybe they should check their own AWS service catalog - I'm sure there
is something they can use in there.

This isn't half as bad as a Google-distributed software package
though.  I forget which one it was, but it basically bundled the
windows version with a copy of wine.  And you thought zlib was bad...

Rich

Jay Dobies
Freenode: jdob @ #pulp