Eric Hidle on 24 Jul 2012 07:48:35 -0700

Re: [PLUG] DCAnet dropping DSL

You're welcome :)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:34 AM, Marc Jasner <jazzman@exdomain.org> wrote:
I also ran my home server (mail, web, ssh) on DCAnet for years (1999 maybe).

The solution I'm using is to let godaddy manage the dns entry for my domain. I pointed the mx records to google and signed up for google apps (free for "small organizations of up to 10 users"). Then I signed up for a dyndns account for my home server and just let the godaddy dns redirect my domain to the dyndns account. It's a little convoluted but it's completely free. I don't have total control of the server anymore (Since google now manages the mail) but there are worse things in the world, I suppose. And this way it doesn't matter who I get for the ISP because the server in the house is set up for dyndns now with the real domain name just redirected.