Malcolm on 24 Jul 2012 07:44:48 -0700

[PLUG] backups (was Re: DCAnet dropping DSL)

On 2012-07-24 10:08 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Malcolm
<mjhlists-plug-20080906@liminalflux.net> wrote:
My "off site" backup is an encrypted usb drive that sits in my desk draw at
work (if I lose both house and office, I've got bigger issues than my
backup). It's amazing the bandwith of putting a 500Gb drive in your pocket.
:-)

That used to be how I handled things, but it is hard to do daily
backups that way.

I don't do daily backups. The only thing that changes that often is my email (I leave a copy on the server for anything I want to keep), and occasionally my accounts (gnucash) which is reconstructable from my other records (bills). Any work gets committed to the company svn repository.

Weekly is enough otherwise and most of my backups is mp3s (reconstructable from the CDs, but a *lot* of work) and jpgs (digital photographs, no prints to scan) for which the archives don't change except when I go on a tagging spree.

A stack of DVDs in an office drawer IS my solution for photos/etc that
consume a ton of space.  I do daily backups to the cloud until I
accumulate a DVD's worth of data, then I back it up to multiple DVDs
and exclude that chunk from online backups.  That gives me daily
backups, but also keeps the cloud repository to a very inexpensive
10-20GB.

That works if you've got the upload bandwidth (which on $15/month DSL, I don't at home). Given the cost of bandwidth + online storage + DVDs the backup to external drive ($100 for 1TB these days, makes me feel old) is both faster and cheaper. One drive for local incremental backups and one (older, smaller) drive for a full backup for the offsite drive that gets updated less often.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Doug Stewart <zamoose@gmail.com> wrote:
> If it isn't in 3-2-1 format (3 copies on at least two different media types, one of which is off-site) then it doesn't really exist.

Only one medium (hard drives), but I used all three copies recently after a drive failure while restoring from backup (losing the root-inode is bad - data was all there but lost a lot of file/directory names in the recovery process, backup #2 had the directories but was out of date on a few files). So I definitely recommend the duplicated copies.