Rich Freeman on 24 Jul 2012 08:07:49 -0700

Re: [PLUG] backups (was Re: DCAnet dropping DSL)

On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:44 AM, Malcolm
<mjhlists-plug-20080906@liminalflux.net> wrote:
> That works if you've got the upload bandwidth (which on $15/month DSL, I
> don't at home). Given the cost of bandwidth + online storage + DVDs the
> backup to external drive ($100 for 1TB these days, makes me feel old) is
> both faster and cheaper. One drive for local incremental backups and one
> (older, smaller) drive for a full backup for the offsite drive that gets
> updated less often.

I used to use this over DSL.  My typical daily backups are only about
150M.  If I take a slew of photos then I might have the odd 1GB
upload, which being asynchronous isn't a big deal either.  The key is
to use an incremental solution, and only upload the stuff that
changes.  A full backup is closer to the 10-20G mark, but I only
upload those once every two months.

The biggest thing about it is that I don't have to think about
anything for it to happen - just a script in cron.daily and a daily
email with the summary.  Backups that require my intervention are just
accidents waiting to happen.

Rich