Lee H. Marzke on 12 Jan 2013 13:57:01 -0800

Re: [PLUG] good linux mail clients

Rich,

> My main issue with Zimbra is that the web-based client lacked
> keyboard
> shortcuts the last time I looked into it,

I think you were looking a really old version. Hitting <Cntl>-Q when in any part of Zimbra 7.1.3GA
(web client) shows you the available keyboard shortcuts.

Also there is Zimbra assistant for quickly entering new email, appointments or users
without using the full GUI.
Type '   opens up a command line box on top of the GUI.  They you enter things like:

mail    "subject" to: user@domain body: This is a short message.
app     Jan 13,2013 [location] (notes for my appointment)
contact 4aero Info info@4aero.com 800-xxx-xxx [123 foo   Dr. ;Collegeville;PA;19426;US] http://4aero.com (notes go here)

This means you can enter lots of into without leaving the current email your viewing.

>Having to do a mouse click or two
> every time I read a message to send it to my archive folder is just
> way to slow,

The way to do that in zimbra is to just read messages in your INBOX,  and
then write a filter that you run periodically ( manually ) to scan the folder and
moved all read message to a destination folder.

But yes the GUI is a little slow, I live with that in order to have synced contacts
and calendar, etc.  and you are correct that Mobile sync requires the
commercial version.  No special Zimbra client is required you just use native email
and calandar on Android.

HOWEVER,  If you use the java mobile client on Zimbra,  then you can do everything
with the Open Source version ( but the Java mobile web client isn't as nice as the native ).

Lee