Rich Freeman on 12 Jan 2013 14:10:56 -0800

Re: [PLUG] good linux mail clients

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Lee H. Marzke <lee@marzke.net> wrote:
>> My main issue with Zimbra is that the web-based client lacked
>> keyboard
>> shortcuts the last time I looked into it,
>
> I think you were looking a really old version. Hitting <Cntl>-Q when in any part of Zimbra 7.1.3GA
> (web client) shows you the available keyboard shortcuts.

I might take another look at it, but what is usually lacking in email
clients is a shortcut to remove a message from the inbox without
deleting it.  The only email client I'm aware of that has it is Gmail,
but there might be others.

>>Having to do a mouse click or two
>> every time I read a message to send it to my archive folder is just
>> way to slow,
>
> The way to do that in zimbra is to just read messages in your INBOX,  and
> then write a filter that you run periodically ( manually ) to scan the folder and
> moved all read message to a destination folder.

The problem with this is that I don't want to archive my read mail -
if that were the case in most email clients I could just create a
"smart folder" that displays unread mail.  I want to archive email
that has been acted upon, which only sometimes happens when I've read
it.  In the case of Gmail there is a send+archive button on replies
which takes care of that in a single stroke, assuming the reply
constituted the only necessary action.

Archival has to be manual, but it has to involve minimal keystrokes
and no mouse clicks since I do it constantly.

But, I will acknowledge that Zimbra is a very good option overall.  If
I could use Gmail that would be a likely fallback candidate (as would
be Horde).

Rich